Valentine's Dread


The dreaded Valentines Day.

Deep down, I really dislike Valentines Day.

Having a boyfriend on Valentines day means that don't have to stress over the disappointment of not getting flowers or chocolate, right?
It's depressing to see everyone around you get cute surprises and vases with lilies, I love lilies.
Every woman loves flowers...... unless you have allergies.

So, the first Valentines Day with Ali, I was excited.
Finally...... I get flowers.

I worked in an office at that time, the day was filled with candy and balloons, all the women were gloating and smiling from gifts from their significant others.
Even a lady who had major marital issues got FLOWERS.

So far, nothing.

I was thinking, Ali is such a great boyfriend, he is so caring and loving, and loves me a lot. Ali always comes to the office and brings me coffee or lunch.....I can't wait to see what he is going to get me for Valentines Day.....

Still, nothing....

I'm thinking...."He is probably getting flowers somewhere, that's why he's late".....
More giggles in the halls...."Oh they look so pretty, are those daisies?"..

Still no Ali.

At this point I called. "Hey honey, Happy Valentines Day, what are you doing?"

"Oh, just driving around with Munch"

at this point it was almost 4 p.m., my balloon of gloating had bursted, he's not getting me flowers.

I couldn't understand why he hadn't planned a cute surprise...isn't that what boyfriends do????

I wasn't single.
It was Valentines Day.
I want flowers.

I was so hurt and disappointed...he eventually showed up with a disposable camera and a photo album...it was cute, but I wanted flowers.

Poor Ali.

He argued,  "I do special things for you everyday"
I thought he was just boycotting Valentines Day, "You cant just get me flowers, ONE DAY????"....I said.

I actually became angry with him, it ruined the rest of the day.....Valentines Day, a day to celebrate love.


The next Valentines Day was an awkward day of gift exchange...........do you feel better now?

It has totally lost it's appeal.

I look back on this now and laugh at how stupid and shallow I was.
It's taken a couple of years, but I realized Ali is not "that" kinda guy.  We both plan something simple to do together. No more surprises, it works out better this way.

But frankly, I wish I could just blow that Holiday off the calendar...because it's a set up....
People who don't have a significant other, can feel like outsiders and lonely.
I've been there....it's not fun.

But when you have a "spouse," you think your in the clear, but it becomes a whole other day of "how much does your husband/boyfriend loves you, based on gifts"......
Has anyone else notice it has become a day of ....."One Up-ing."
Who has the biggest bouquet?
A whole relationship can't be based on how many chocolate coated hearts, or red roses you get?

Where is that calendar and my nun-chucks.


YOU CANT GET ME VALENTINES DAY!!!

















No comments:

Post a Comment